Thursday, March 20, 2014

March Birchbox Review

Hello all, it's that time again. This month I got a spring-themed Birchbox, with products to ease the transition from winter to warmer months (who am I kidding- we're all chomping at the bit for beach season). If you haven't already, head over to Birchbox.com to embark on your very own monthly beauty journey!

Here's a look at what I got:



Keims Cleanshine Energizing Shampoo (Full Size $9.50)
I had no expectations for this shampoo, but I like it a lot! It smelled minty but not too overpowering, just clean and subtle. I was afraid it was going to make my hair oily because I’ve had bad experiences with clear-looking shampoo in the past, but that wasn’t the case at all! I’ve used this shampoo exclusively for almost a week now (washing every other day) and my hair is super soft, and better yet, looks frizz-free. I’ve never really tried a natural shampoo before, but maybe this is what all the fuss is about. My next stop is to the Birchbox shop to order this shampoo!

Jergens BB Body Perfecting Skin Cream (Price not listed)
This was one of the first tinted moisturizers I’ve actually enjoyed. The color blended perfectly and left my skin looking dewy and fresh. It’s really a nice bottom layer for makeup. I wouldn’t say it adds any additional coverage to the skin, but it leaves the skin feeling soft and looking healthy. I probably wouldn’t wear this to bed because a tinted moisturizer feels a bit too much like wearing makeup to bed, but I think this is a great daytime moisturizer.  My one complaint (enough to prevent me from purchasing) is the smell. It’s a little bit strong. If anyone’s ever used the Jergen’s glow lotion, you’ll know what I’m talking about. It’s too strong for a face moisturizer, in my opinion, and very sweet. I prefer a fresher, less noticeable smell. The price isn’t listed here, but I suspect that this might end up being a really good bargain for someone not opposed to the scent.  
Here's what it looked like on my skintone: 
 And then blended: 


INIKA Certified Organic Eye Liner in Green Lagoon ($20)
One thing I loved about this eyeliner is the sharpener built into the cap… that’s just ingenious! I’m always stuck with a dull eyeliner pencil and no sharpener… This solves that problem. I will say that when I took the product out of the box, the sharpener was on the end of the pencil (the “eraser” end), and it doesn’t really fit snugly without sharpening the wrong end of the pencil. This is probably a minor issue for most. The color was like a metallic seafoam green, probably really pretty on tan complexions, and even olive skin tones. On me, it was a bit corpse-ish. However, my mom, who also has a light skin tone, thought it was very pretty, so I guess it’s a matter of taste. Also, I'm not sure why this would cost $20. That seems a bit high for eyeliner. 
Here's what the color looked like on my skin tone: 


Supergoop City Sunscreen Serum ($42 Full size)
I think my biggest issue with this product was the smell. It’s hard to describe, but there was something unpleasant about it. It wasn’t any particular scent that stood out to me, it was more like just an overwhelming sunscreen odor with a hint of Elmer’s Glue thrown in there. It’s not really a scent I want on my face all day, but I will say that in terms of sun protection I think it’s effective, and the formula isn’t especially oily, which is good. (A side note: I got an apology email from Birchbox saying that this was a product I’d received once before, so they awarded me 100 points as a consolation. Thanks, Birchbox! Impressive customer service!). 


  Grand Central Beauty S.M.A.R.T. Skin Perfecting Serum + Primer (Full Size $68)

This is one of those times when I really can’t attest to the effectiveness of a product. I used it before bed for several nights, patting under and around the eye as instructed, but I didn’t really see or feel any noticeable changes. I was concerned because it said on the bottle that it should be used in conjunction with moisturizer, so I think it probably has a drying effect. For me, I wouldn’t buy this product for that reason, and also because the price is just too steep for me.



Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment